What we do: Provide financial incentive through a renewable annual scholarship and mentoring to a woman returning to college to improve her life and opportunities.
- Be female.
- Be a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Be a resident of Delaware OR be currently employed in Delaware for at least the past 12 months.
- Be at least 20 years of age and have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Submit an official college transcript that shows at minimum a 2.0 average GPA if currently enrolled in college or if you have attended college in the past. *NOTE: If NOT currently enrolled in college you will need to submit an official copy of your transcript from past college attendance (if applicable), from high school or your official copy of your GED program to be considered.
- Have had at least a two year break in education either after completing high school or during post-secondary (college) studies. *NOTE: Students who have previously earned a bachelor’s degree are not eligible to apply.
- Be admitted to an accredited Delaware college in a two or four year degree program at the undergraduate level. *NOTE: You will be asked to confirm acceptance into designated college.
- Submit one (1) letter of recommendation from a college representative, a nonprofit/government agency or an employer. *NOTE: Letter must be on official letterhead or use provided Recommendation Form.
- Identify two (2) persons (NON-family members) to be called as a reference.
- Certify financial need. All information submitted will be kept confidential. *NOTE: All financial information needs to be filled out to be eligible for review. Any incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Submit a completed application including financial data, a personal statement and letter of recommendation. *NOTE: You may submit your application and letter of recommendation separately. However, it is your responsibility to follow up and ensure all parts of your application are received. Any incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Be available for a brief telephone interview if selected as a scholarship finalist.
- If approved as a Fresh Start Scholar award winner, you must attend (1) scholar orientation session in August/ September.
Award: The number and amount of the awards will be determined annually prior to the fall semester but will in no event exceed the costs of tuition, fees, books and other direct educational expenses. Awards will be paid directly to the college prior to the beginning of each semester.
Applications are evaluated on the information supplied; therefore, answer all questions as completely as possible. Incomplete application will not be considered. Awards are granted without regard to race, marital status, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national origin.